Lawyers lost their appeal against us.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Jun 2010 12:00 AM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

As many of you (may) know, having won our case against Banco Popular for the return of our €100,000 deposit on the Santa Maria Green Hills development, we then asked our Lawyer to action a case against the Marbella law firm we engaged at the time of our proposed purchase.They asked for and we paid upfront, €7500+, supposedly to pay all fees/costs to completion. The property was not built as the building license was revoked. Jesus Gil issued it!

The Lawyers , who had done diddly squat to that date, kept all of the fees, despite telling us they would refund them, less some costs. :evil They were unbelievably arrogant in the way they treated us. They failed to get us a Bank Guarantee even though they told us we would have one.

We made a complaint against them (in Spanish) to the Collegio de Abogados. They agreed we had a case to have money refunded to us. They called them into a meeting with our Lawyer...they failed to attend. An arbitration meeting was arranged infront of a Judge...again they failed to attend. Our Lawyer then said OK, we sue the company.

We won our first case in December 2008, where the Judge denounced them as failing to act in our interest, especially as we were foreigners, but surprise surprise, they appealed. Our Lawyer embargoed some of their assets.

Today, we received an email from Carlos informing us that the Marbella law firm LOST their appeal !!!!!!! Finally, a Judge has done the right thing and bought justice to the court room.

For my husband & I ,above everything else, it is a moral victory. We cannot thank Carlos enough for having the "cahones" to take on another Lawyer. He is a real star.

Like 0      
05 Jun 2010 9:52 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Hi Tish

Now that is what I call good news, I have been following your story here and on SPI, your dogged persistence has won through, well done.

Steve

Like 0      
05 Jun 2010 10:34 AM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar

Now that's my idea of a professional diligent and tenacious lawyer and just what is needed to fight for justice within the Spanish  system.

Bringing the thieving banks and the greedy,arrogant and incompetent lawyers to book was no mean feat and your dogged determination has brought results. 

Congratulations to the judges and to you Tricia,and most of all to   your star of a lawyer, Carlos.

Some Cojones!!

Like 0      
05 Jun 2010 12:53 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Congratulations to you and Carlos! Yes... he is a star!

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
05 Jun 2010 1:36 PM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

Thank you for your kind responses.  Yes, I was determined to see those bar stewards bought to book. They treated us with utter contempt.  I guess they thought we would give up after they twice ignored us.  No chance....... I'm a Cancerian! 

Maria knows Carlos and she has spoken very highly of him.  When we first met him, he told us that these law firms bring shame on his country and his profession.  I'm sooo pleased for him too. 

Plenty to celebrate this week-end...my gorgeous grand-daughters first birthday, our win, AND... FABULOUS WEATHER!

Like 0      
07 Jun 2010 9:29 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

That is great news.  We could do with more justice stories like these.

Great stuff.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
07 Jun 2010 11:18 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

That's certainly great news!

Are you allowed to name the negligent firm?

My question would be why did you use this firm in the first place - was it the case of an estate agent introduction etc?

Also the fee charged would also appear excessive even if the unit had been build and it had gone to completion etc.

Like 0      
10 Jun 2010 4:52 PM by nelsonian Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Nice to see that the Bulldog spirit is still alive and kicking.

Like 0      
11 Jun 2010 2:24 PM by rob862m Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Hi Tish

Can you name the negligent firm?

Regards

Rob

Like 0      
15 Jun 2010 7:18 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Tish,

you are an inspiration and I continue to save a little from my pension to try to follow you.

magic news

how do we follow you please?

Regards

Norman

Like 0      
15 Jun 2010 10:11 PM by peteha Star rating. 110 posts Send private message

Norman

you follow her by having the cojones to put your money where your mouth is 

and start your own legal action to recover the losses you are always telling us about.

plenty of people are recovering their deposits.

put up or shut up

Like 0      
15 Jun 2010 10:31 PM by 1962 Star rating in Iznalloz. 181 posts Send private message

Peteha,

That was a harsh and rude comment you made to Norman especially as he was replying to Tish.

Kathy

Like 0      
16 Jun 2010 2:56 AM by emmet Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Tish,would you be so kind as to give me the name of your lawyer.Am involved in two devs that have gone belly-up

Like 0      
17 Sep 2010 10:21 AM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

An update:

2 days ago we were advised by our Lawyer that Direct Lawyers Marbella have at last paid the money owing to us into the Court. It should have been paid within 10 days of their losing their appeal! We had to wait until September (after the August shut down of the legal offices/courts) before instructing our Lawyer to action the embargoes he had put on their assets. Clearly it was the kick in the butt they needed.!

It beggars belief that this company is continuing to practice, given the contempt they show their own legal system. They obviously think they are above the Laws of Spain.

Many thanks to our Lawyer, Carlos Comitre Couto, for his professionalism and support in bringing about a successful conclusion to our claims of actioning our Bank Guarantee and suing the law firm we used for the purchase process.

Like 0      
17 Sep 2010 10:44 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Excellent news and great result.

Firms such as the one you mentioned should be shut down but sadly that does not happen and they will simply advertise a bit more and get a few more clients through the door.

It's also very annoying you have had to play the game to the bitter end even after the black ball had been potted. The colegio de abogados de malaga should have similar powers to the law society of england and wales in dealing with its members ie proper disciplinary hearings and practising certificates revoked.

Enjoy!

Like 0      
17 Sep 2010 10:54 AM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

Thanks Faro. This process has taken over 2 and a half years!.  The Collegio de Abogados is impotent in cases like this of which there are thousands!

Don't go here:!!! http://www.directlawyers.es/home.htm

Quote from their website

We are proud members of the following legal associations
International Bar Association Union Internationale des Avocats
ICA Málaga
Intnl. Bar Association
Union Intnl. des Avocats

This message was last edited by Tish on 17/09/2010.

Like 0      
17 Sep 2010 4:30 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

"The colegio de abogados de malaga should have similar powers to the law society of england and wales in dealing with its members ie proper disciplinary hearings and practising certificates revoked."

I couldn't agree more Faro, well said.

Well done Tish, so pleased to hear a positive result.

Did you have to prove in your case that this was the last resort i.e. you'd attempted every other avenue to obtain return of monies to no avail? Did you ever consider taking action against the Bank?

Like 0      
17 Sep 2010 7:03 PM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

Ads, this was purely  suing the Lawyers for the non-return of monies owed to us.

We paid them c. €7,500 upfront when we engaged them to purchase an apartment . It was the full amount to take us to completion and have the utilities connected. That was their terms.  It was never built because the building licence was revoked 4 weeks and 3 days after they signed the purchase contract. (full of  illegal clauses)  They said we would have a BG, but they failed to get it as the bank would not issue one as they knew there were irregularities  with the licence. They eventually issued one 15 months later when the s*** hit the fan after it was clear the apartments would never be built on the upper level of the development., They had already started building on the lower level. The  developer had to pay in millions of euros into the bank to cover these apartments.

The judge highly criticised DLM for their lack of professional conduct.

Like 0      
17 Sep 2010 7:09 PM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

Ads to answer your question:

Did you have to prove in your case that this was the last resort i.e. you'd attempted every other avenue to obtain return of monies to no avail? Did you ever consider taking action against the Bank?

I'm sure our Lawyer was able to demonstrate to the Judge the two other times we tried to resolve this with both the Collegio and Arbitration infront of a Judge. On both occassions the senior partner failed to appear despite being summoned by both respective bodies.

This had nothing to do with the Bank. We have already had our deposit back from them using the BG ....after two Court cases!

Like 0      
24 Sep 2010 10:36 AM by Abolex Star rating in Andalucia - Murcia -.... 136 posts Send private message

Abolex´s avatar

Tish - Congratulations!

It is good to hear that, at least, someone is fighting these abuses.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Warning - Bad Tenants, Almoradi/Catral/Dolores area - 14 posts
Serious buyer looking to buy a bargain - 16 posts
launderettes - 0 posts
Mortgage Direct S.L - 2 posts
Interest only mortgage. - 1 posts
How do I stop wasps making nests in my sofa? - 1 posts
Legal advise needed - 3 posts
Help required - Malaga Airport to Sebanillas by coach - 3 posts
DIY Finca/cortijo - 2 posts
Good news in Spain! - 426 posts
JUSTIN--HELP NEEDED WITH MY PMs - 5 posts
Telefonica Sim - i phone - 7 posts
day trip to tangiers - 6 posts
Aircon San Javier area - 1 posts
LHD FORD MONDEO GHIA 2.0CC PETROL AUTOMATIC FOR SALE 2002 - 2 posts
7,000 posts! - 26 posts
endesa electrical supply Spain bad service - 0 posts
tax relief when renting in Spain - 0 posts
RHD car in Malaga area - 2 posts
Exchange Rate in Mojacar - 2 posts
Community Data Protection charge from administrator - 6 posts
Whats coming up in the Murcia region - 9 posts
Cheapest broadband in Spain at the moment - 11 posts
Batteries in Spain - 7 posts
Ideas for my band - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 21

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x