Warning - Bad Tenants, Almoradi/Catral/Dolores area

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Jun 2010 12:00 AM by Hailwood Star rating in Norfolk, UK and Almo.... 11 posts Send private message

We have recently returned to the UK after visiting our property situated just outside Almoradi, just vacated by long-term tenants. To say it has been totally abused and disrespected is an understatement!  We allowed these people to rent our house on the understanding that their two dogs were well-behaved. They lived there, apparently in filth, for a year and, during that time, we would that suggest no cleaning has ever taken place, (the details are too gruesome to explain here but we do have photographic evidence). Our dining furniture has been badly chewed by dogs, our two sofas and coffee table have disappeared, only to be replaced by items which look as though they have been taken from a skip. We found our beautiful sitting room curtains in a cupboard upstairs, which look as though dogs have been using them for bedding. The locks on the sliding doors to the ground floor terrace are broken and the insect screen has been removed and dumped on one of the terraces, and they left an upaid electricity bill of €149 etc, etc  ...............  the list is endless. Our house, which was our home, will need a thorough deep-clean, de-fumigating and decorating throughout and, of course, this will cost us.

The purpose of this posting is to warn other potential owners/landlords about these people and their three dogs, (confirmed by neighbours).  They are now living in a village on the outskirts of Catral, possibly abusing someone else's pride and joy. Having never met them personally and, as we used a local agent to find tenants we cannot describe them but, we do have other details about them.  We are prevented from disclosing their details on a public forum therefore, if anyone needs more information we can provide it.

Please do not let your property to these people as they will wreck it and it will cost you dearly, both in financial and emotional terms.

Like 0      
04 Jun 2010 4:56 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Sorry you have had all these problems, Hailwood. I've read similar posts on forums. This is one reason WE do not rent out our place.

Like 0      
04 Jun 2010 5:04 PM by Hailwood Star rating in Norfolk, UK and Almo.... 11 posts Send private message

Thank you Morerosado, it's a lesson learned the hard way and we certainly won't be renting it out again!

Like 0      
04 Jun 2010 5:07 PM by redsam79 Star rating in Los Pacos, Costa del.... 192 posts Send private message

Sorry to hear about that, we had a similar situation, not as bad as you but still quite disturbing. By any chance was it a couple the male from Holland and the girl from Morocco, unlikely as we are on the Costa del Sol.

SUCCESS IS SIMPLY A MATTER OF LUCK....ASK ANY FAILURE!!

Like 0      
04 Jun 2010 5:09 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

You say 'We are prevented from disclosing their details on a public forum', why? 

I ASSUME you are insured though!

This message was last edited by morerosado on 04/06/2010.

Like 0      
04 Jun 2010 5:10 PM by Hailwood Star rating in Norfolk, UK and Almo.... 11 posts Send private message

Hello Redsam79 - not the same couple, our tenants were both English!

Like 0      
04 Jun 2010 5:15 PM by Hailwood Star rating in Norfolk, UK and Almo.... 11 posts Send private message

Hello Morerosado - yes we are insured thanks.  However, in order to stop the situation from worstening in the short-term, (to keep the cockroaches away etc.), we have to pay up-front to have it deep-cleaned. 

Like 0      
04 Jun 2010 5:16 PM by Hailwood Star rating in Norfolk, UK and Almo.... 11 posts Send private message

PS to Morerosado - we have been advised that, unless we have begun legal proceedings against our tenants, it is against the law to "name and shame" on a public forum. 

Like 0      
04 Jun 2010 5:20 PM by redsam79 Star rating in Los Pacos, Costa del.... 192 posts Send private message

No I did not think it would be, we too have never rented out since, and it is actually quite nice to know nobody uses it and it is just for us and immediate family. My wife and I are just back, my son and his girlfriend are away today for a week and when he returns my daughter and her friends are going for a week, worst they can do is break a glass or two or get told of for playing music to loud!!

SUCCESS IS SIMPLY A MATTER OF LUCK....ASK ANY FAILURE!!

Like 0      
04 Jun 2010 5:33 PM by Hailwood Star rating in Norfolk, UK and Almo.... 11 posts Send private message

Redsam79 - yes, you are right, close friends and family only from now on.  Broken glasses can easily be replaced can't they?

Like 0      
05 Jun 2010 1:47 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi again Hailwood, you say 'it is against the law to "name and shame" on a public forum'. Hasn't stopped many on here & many other forums I read but it's very commendable that you are so decent & honourable after all you've been put through.

Like 0      
20 May 2013 10:41 AM by honeywater Star rating. 68 posts Send private message

This is an old thread, but this doesn't make it any less relevant. I'm not sure I'm allowed to name and shame bad tenants, but would be happy  to share my experience  with landlords between Orihulena Coast and Los Alcazares. If you think this information may be of interest to you please send me a PM. I know that the couple I've just had an awful experience with are looking to rent another property in the area,

Like 0      
20 May 2013 12:21 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

As there is not in Spain an official registry of bad tenants, I cannot see why they cannot be named in any public domain. Always taking that the lister is a reputable person which will get facts with no interest.

Possibly managers of forums like these.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
20 May 2013 1:40 PM by Hailwood Star rating in Norfolk, UK and Almo.... 11 posts Send private message

Hi Honeywater

This thread was started by me; we no longer own that property so don't have the extra stress that it brought thank goodness.  So sorry that you've had a rotten experience with your tenants and trust you manage to get through it. Hopefully, by bringing this to the attention of landlords, (and their friends), who may follow this forum, they will be forewarned.  PM me with the name(s) of your tenants and I can then confirm if they are known to us.  (We had two English couples long-term)

We are given to understand that the last tenants we had now rent in San Felipe Neri and are probably trashing someone else's pride and joy, with their filthy habits, (ugh), and huge, unruly dogs.  (No, i'm not a dog hater - just can't stand people who don't train them properly, leave them to bark all day and chew the home to bits because they're bored - not the dogs fault).

We were advised by a solicitor that we should not "name and shame" on a public forum unfortunately.  If, however, the time ever comes when we can be absolutely certain we can, believe me - we will!  If anyone is reading this and would like the names of both (English) couples who trashed our home and stole from us, please PM me.

Mrs H

Like 0      
20 May 2013 1:58 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Well.

Possibly a mediuk solution is right.

To have someone ( solicitor for instance) who can keep private records of all bad tenants communicated to him and offer the free service to owners.

I can volunteer for that if you want. Despite I see it would be great for EOS moderators to do it.

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 20/05/2013.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Serious buyer looking to buy a bargain - 16 posts
launderettes - 0 posts
Mortgage Direct S.L - 2 posts
Interest only mortgage. - 1 posts
How do I stop wasps making nests in my sofa? - 1 posts
Legal advise needed - 3 posts
Help required - Malaga Airport to Sebanillas by coach - 3 posts
DIY Finca/cortijo - 2 posts
Good news in Spain! - 426 posts
JUSTIN--HELP NEEDED WITH MY PMs - 5 posts
Telefonica Sim - i phone - 7 posts
day trip to tangiers - 6 posts
Aircon San Javier area - 1 posts
LHD FORD MONDEO GHIA 2.0CC PETROL AUTOMATIC FOR SALE 2002 - 2 posts
7,000 posts! - 26 posts
endesa electrical supply Spain bad service - 0 posts
tax relief when renting in Spain - 0 posts
RHD car in Malaga area - 2 posts
Exchange Rate in Mojacar - 2 posts
Community Data Protection charge from administrator - 6 posts
Whats coming up in the Murcia region - 9 posts
Cheapest broadband in Spain at the moment - 11 posts
Batteries in Spain - 7 posts
Ideas for my band - 5 posts
Hello, new here. - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 15

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x