Taking a bank to court

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 May 2010 12:00 AM by coleen Star rating. 84 posts Send private message

Has anybody ever tried taking a bank to court?  The reason being that our contract to purchase off plan did not include a bank guarantee which is apparently against the law.  Now the developers have gone into liquidation - and so has our deposit.

Any help or thoughts gratefully received.

Like 0      
28 May 2010 5:47 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Maria de Castro recently posted this so it might be worth discussing things with her:

http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/costaluz/3569/legal-tip-277-low-cost-action-against-banks-manifesto-by-costaluzlawyers.aspx

It would be interesting to know of any legal case wins relating to this action.

Like 0      
28 May 2010 6:34 PM by coleen Star rating. 84 posts Send private message

Many thanks for that.

somehow, I didn't fully understand at first the possibility of a low cost action against the banks as put forward by Marie. 

When I first read it,  my  head was a bit of a shed. 

It might not apply to my case as the development is now finished and we could in fact buy the apartment - but it is two years late in the completion.

Like 0      
28 May 2010 7:17 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

The question to ask yourself is are you happy with the completed apartment and complex (even if it is 2 years late) because it's a long legal road ahead if you choose the legal route. and some would suggest it's best to be left with an asset rather than risk being left with nothing at all if the legal challenge fails. Personally however I would not consider completion if the product was substandard (i.e. left with a costly  liability), a ghost town or is majorly deficient in features promised etc, or if the maintenance costs were likely to be prohibitive taking into account that the developer has gone into liquidation, poor security etc etc..in other words weigh up the pros and cons.

Might still be worth discussing things with Maria to be sure that there are no hidden problems relating to the purchase if you were to proceed, plus she could advise if you may be entitled to negotiate a better deal with whoever takes over the complex (the Bank?) if you chose to continue with completion....... (many banks would probably be more than willing to do this given the economic downturn). It's a personal call at the end of the day, but don't underestimate the overheads and stress involved in completing if any of the above criteria (and more) is of longer term concern.

Good luck.

Like 0      
28 May 2010 8:24 PM by coleen Star rating. 84 posts Send private message

Very many thanks for the suggestions and advice ads.

Unfortunately, I should have been clearer.  Although the complex is finished, we would not now consider buying.  We paid the deposit in 2004 and it was due to be completed in 2006.  It wasn't actually completed until 2008, having been a 'stopped-job' for about a year.  We went to court to cancel the contract, which we won, but the developers appealed.  The appeal case didn't get as far as being heard before they went into liquidation.

Now the development  is a ghost town and the maintenance fees are in a mess with so few of the apartments being occupied.

But anyway, your point about the bank possibly taking over the development  raises an interesting question since it was the bank who didn't ensure there was a bank guarantee at the start ... ?

Like 0      
28 May 2010 10:14 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Given your situation, I would seriously consider Maria's option to claim against the Bank (group action).......

Just out of interest did you suffer court delays throughout this legal process to date?

This message was last edited by ads on 28/05/2010.

Like 0      
28 May 2010 10:32 PM by coleen Star rating. 84 posts Send private message

Thanks Ads.

I did talk to Maria about this case but not recently.  I will contact her again.  But if we hadn't already instructed a solicitor and gone quite a long way down the line before I discovered this site, I would definitely have gone to her!

We took action against the developers to cancel the contract June 2008 and up until the latest news that the devlopers have gone into liquidation, we were still awaiting the appeal.  So that is 2 years in total for the initial court case and appeal still not heard.

I will come back with the date of the initial court case later.

Like 0      
29 May 2010 3:37 PM by coleen Star rating. 84 posts Send private message

Here are the dates -

we went to a solicitor end of May 2008,

30 March, 2009 Audencia Previa

28th July, 2009 juicio definitivo

the Judge found in favour us, the developers appealed but are now in liquidation. 

Like 0      
31 May 2010 11:06 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Definitely a case for an action against the financial institution you placed your initial deposits at.

Best regards,

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
31 May 2010 12:37 PM by coleen Star rating. 84 posts Send private message

Many thanks Maria.  I have written to you at Costa Luz lawyers.

Like 0      
31 May 2010 12:38 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Answered now

M

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Hi Im JO - 1 posts
Endesa news - 6 posts
BBC One HD Coming soon....to digital satellite - 10 posts
OKI TV - 2 posts
Driving to Spain - 2 posts
Success of international operations against Mafia in Costa del Sol - 0 posts
Help......Forgot middle name when booking my flight with Ryanair - 4 posts
HELP NEEDED - 19 posts
insect bites, any advice? - 22 posts
Chevorlet Matiz For sale, lady owner,full service history - 1 posts
Developers have gone into liquidation with our deposit - 18 posts
Van Rental San Francisco - 1 posts
Van Rental - 1 posts
Toyota RAV 4 For Sale - 0 posts
400 Posts! - 2 posts
Getaway Earth Update - 0 posts
I'm proud of my nieces, they did this for charity, look! (AND HAD FUN!) - 7 posts
General Heads Up Needed - BARCELONA - 0 posts
New here... old to Spain - 3 posts
wanted - writing bureau - 0 posts
IVA / VAT - an optional tax! - 4 posts
Help! House Falling Down! - 4 posts
Looking for playlist for spanish radio station (Kiss FM) - 7 posts
Instant Access Properties Limited - 0 posts
Has anybody eaten at the Fondue Lounge in Elviria? - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x