Banks! Not at all user friendly

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 May 2010 12:00 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Businesses tend not to check their systems from the customers perspective: The worst offenders are the banks. To access any online service; effect a transfer or whatever, is to enter a maze with every wrong turn and blocked exit imaginable. It isn't unusual to waste an hour trying to use the most simple service. Particularly annoying is Halifax UK maxim: "Contacting us has never been easier.' Try it, from Spain. No e-mail or telephone numbers are provided at all.

You want to change your address: easy? Not really. You are eventually directed to a pdf form, which you can download, complete and fax-e-mail. However the pdf will not download. Have THEY tried it to see if it works? Obviously not. You telephone for an an explanation? They don't have an answer. What would they suggest I ask. They reply that if I write to them (dohhh) they will send the form. I can fill it in and return it. So why the online pdf form?

Halifax Espana. I try to transfer funds to my UK account: however I place the IBAN numbers in the box provided I get it wrong, with precious little sensible advice as to the order in which they should be placed. Erm! Is a 'for example' beyond these banking service prats! Have they tried using the useless 'service' from the customer's office chair? Evidently not. I have to jump in the car to drive to a branch to discuss with a human being the best way to do it.

But first of all a bright idea! I will e-mail them as to the required number sequence. Into 'contact us' and following the instructions to the letter I press SUBMIT and here's the illiterate nonsense that hits my screen: HIVE detected a security violation: Perimeter does not match the expected value.' (work that butchery of the English language out).

Banks! No wonder they lose billions. They couldn't run a proverbial whelk stall.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
05 May 2010 10:22 AM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

Hi Mike

here is the link for Halifax contact page in spain

http://www.halifax.es/halifaxing/email/email.asp?sec=email

Fred

Overseas Property Company

fred@overseaspropertycompany.com

Real Estate sales - rentals and Lloyds insurance agency.

Like 0      
05 May 2010 11:24 AM by soto_dave Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

I have a bank account in Sotogrande with Halifax and cannot fault them in any respect....the service I get from them far out weighs the the service I get from the UK side.Theyve helped me with issues which dont even fall under their umbrella.....

Like 0      
05 May 2010 11:54 AM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

Hi Mike

This is the link for the change of address PDF

http://www.halifax.co.uk/HelpCentre/pdf/Changeofaddress.pdf

Fred

Like 0      
05 May 2010 12:14 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

You guys are much appreciated stars. By the way, for clarity, I was drawing attention to their shortcomings in respect of their online services; sadly lacking when it comes to being user friendly. No longer so thanks to the response. I agree with you.

The staff at my Halifax near Torrevieja couldn't be more helpful. It is one of the few occasions when I can actually look forward to visiting  a bank and invariably leave with a smile. They 'sorted it.' I would recommend the Halifax (not their online service though).

Come to think about it, Fred; seeing as you are so knowledgeable, how should I set the numbers in their box when transferring money to my UK account? Lets take (fanciful digits but right number of them so no security problems) as an example:

IBAN

GB64HLFX11055803187667   These have to have gaps between them but where? If it's no trouble. Otherwise a trip to meet up with Susanah or Christina

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

Like 0      
05 May 2010 12:26 PM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

Hi Mike

GB64 HLFX 1105 5803 187667

Thgat is a GB IBAN number which are different to Spain

Fred

Like 0      
05 May 2010 1:21 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

The Banco Halifax website is terrible.  It looks like it was written in 1998.  I have given up using my Banco Halifax account because of the crap website and the sneaky charges.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
05 May 2010 1:38 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

I had a problem some years ago with a currency broker. When sending money to Spain the form had the 1st line Acct. no. & the 2nd line bank sort code. I queried this as in normal operations it's the other way round. " no problems " was the reply " been doing it this way for years ". It wasn't for 8 months , come August , when the trained staff go on holiday & the cleaning lady is filling in, our money went to the Bank of Albacete instead of La Caixa ! The brokers were useless, didn't want to know until I got their bank involved. The lad in my La Caixa branch tracked it down in the end & sorted it . All the brokers said was it was my fault! Sorry, how's that ? I've been using the same form the same way for 8 months. It wasn't until La caixa pointed out that it was the wrong way round that they admitted defeat.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
05 May 2010 2:13 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Oh well! All is well that ends well but what a formidable challenge; do we need it? Having tried every ruse in the book to transfer a few euros from my Halifax (Spain) to Halifax (UK), using the 'external' online service. I finally gave up. Jumping in to my car I drove to my nearest branch. Wait for it:

Staff as perfect as always   ...   Lara carried out the transfer for me. Why couldn't I do it? Because the service is not availabe to online users. I had wasted half a morning trying to use a service on their website, which wasn't available.

Lara tells me that if I ever want to transer funds outside Spain I must come to the bank. Look on the bright side of things. Maybe Lara just likes me?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

need help from a spanish citizen - 6 posts
Hague Apostile in the UK - Information for other would be users - 1 posts
Transfer of property in divorce settlements - 9 posts
town hall daya nueva website address - 2 posts
looking for a one month rental in Fuengirola - 1 posts
room wonted - 2 posts
replating my uk registered Vespa PX200 - 2 posts
Help in getting from Gibraltar to Duquesa end of the month by bus - 0 posts
Any way to keep english no. plate? - 4 posts
Help please????? - 1 posts
Looking for the RIGHT PLACE in Spain - 0 posts
Wanted bike for 6yr old boy. - 12 posts
Make your vote count if you have one - 0 posts
Martin's Facebook blog: Spanish cash machine gave me more info than I’d bargained for… - 0 posts
Selling goods into Spain before moving out. - 11 posts
Justice issues - 0 posts
Justice issues - 33 posts
Justice issues - 0 posts
Ash cloud Back - 1 posts
Spanish registered car - 3 posts
Check the news, the ash cloud's back, certain airports closed or closing - 11 posts
Architect in Granada - 0 posts
Power of attorney - 13 posts
wedding - 6 posts
NIE by POA - 12 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x