Changes in our fees

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Apr 2010 12:00 AM by jeff martin Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

I wonder if you can advise.

I have had a look round the forum for a similar problem but don't seem to be able to find one

Three years ago we retired to a villa in Costa del Sol.
Our villa is in a small villa community.  We are part of a small resort of 4 communities, the other three are apartment blocks.
There is a pool and gardens shared by all the communities.

Everything was fine until the previous president retired through ill health.

The new president is from the apartment blocks.  He feels that the apartments are subsidising the villas.
The villas and the penthouse apartments have larger terraces which the new president says were not properly accounted for in the quotas in the deeds.

The new president had a resort meeting quite recently at which there was a vote on the way the fees are shared out.
A new system was proposed which was a combination of the size of the properties and other factors.  To be honest I don't really understand it.  

What I do know is the apartment communities passed the vote for this new system and as there are 3 times more apartment owners, so the vote for the new system was passed in the resort meeting.

This new system has meant we are facing big increases in our fees. 
We cannot really afford these, especially as our pensions are paid in sterling.
None of the villa owners want this change and neither do those in the penthouses.
We do not think this is fair.  We we bought out place from the previous owner we were careful to make sure what all the costs to us would be.  Our solicitor showed us the deeds and explained how the fees were worked on from the percentage in our deeds.  If we knew it was going to be like this we would not have bought our place.

Is there anything we can do about this?

Like 0      
29 Apr 2010 6:14 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

http://www.eyeonspain.com/forums/posts-long-9916.aspx

The above was a similar thread posted a month or two ago.

Might be worth seeing what happened there?

Like 0      
29 Apr 2010 6:31 PM by jeff martin Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Thanks Faro

I'm not sure if it is the same.  Most of our community costs are for the pool and looking after the gardens.

I don't use the pool but I can understand everyone needs to pay their bit.

Everyone pays a share for the pool and gardens but it now the villa owners plus penthouses are being asked to pay a bigger share.

We were struggling as it was so now there won't be any luxuries at all.

Like 0      
29 Apr 2010 6:48 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

i've a very strong feeling this has cropped up before (I'm here a lot as you'll realise so I see more maybe than many).

If Maria de Castro was answering I'm reasonably sure she'd say that as it was voted on you are stuck with it.

It annoys me that we have only a small 2 bed villa on a much smaller plot than the 3 bed villas are plus some 3 bed villas that are on the ends have much larger gardens than the other 3 bed villas. Our president owns a 3 bed villa on a corner plot, enough said ! We ALL pay the same! There are MANY more 3 bed villas than 2 bed illas so it will ALWAYS be voted in favour of the 3 bed villas.

Like 0      
29 Apr 2010 7:00 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Section 3 of the Horizontal Law states:

"An assessment quota shall be allocated to every unit in relation to the value of the building and expressed as a percentage of said value. Said quota shall serve as a coefficient to determine individual unit shares in the expenses and benefits of the community. Improvements or impairments shall not affect the quota allocated to an individual unit, which may be altered only by unanimous agreement".

I'm 99% certain your "majority" vote on altering the assessment quotas, which will be listed in the master deed (estatutuos) and every owner's individual deed, is not valid. Hopefully Maria can copnfirm this?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
29 Apr 2010 7:09 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

So, the communiuty has to abide by The H Law, (I knew this ) but try telling our lot, Roberto!!! They chop & change rules to suit the situation & we have given up arguing! I was almost lynched when I stood up to them last year. Our AGM is coming up & we'll be down the beach letting those who run the roost do as they always do, we then will do as we want!

Good luck Jeff.

Like 0      
29 Apr 2010 7:34 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Fair point, but I bet if they upped your fees significantly (whilst reducing other's) you'd grab your towel and factor 50 and run straight back to state your case!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
29 Apr 2010 7:35 PM by jeff martin Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

So I will have to wait for the solicitor.

It just seems that when we bought our villa we signed for the deeds and the previous owner and our solicitor were really helpful in explaining it all.

My understanding was we were signing for the way our fees would be.  We really relied on knowing this and even more now, we are on pensions for the UK.  

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Another property tax? - 0 posts
Good surfing beaches? - 3 posts
Another property tax? - 22 posts
School dinners - 2 posts
Childs Car Booster Seat Wanted - 1 posts
Investing in property in Spain - 2 posts
siann - 1 posts
I Need Transport Space From Spain to UK (end of May) - 4 posts
Malaga Airport lift needed to Duquesa for 6 people - 09/06/2010 - 0 posts
Restaurant Critic's Wanted!! - 15 posts
Land registry and notary fees - 5 posts
Costa Blanca Transfers Car Hire- anyone used them? - 9 posts
wi-fi extenders - 4 posts
HELP WANTED - 0 posts
ITV & INSCURANCE - 5 posts
Universal Hospitality - 0 posts
Family Fun Day in Calahonda, Saturday 15th May 11:00-20:00 - 0 posts
items for sale - 0 posts
Looking for a caravan - 15 posts
Help! new type of Endesa Smart Meter - 4 posts
looking for a church in Corvera area - 3 posts
Major UK Airlines Launch 'Ash Cloud' Seat Sales - 0 posts
Can a devloper sue if you are unable to obtain the mortage ? - 1 posts
Digital switchover - 12 posts
Baby Show - Torremolinos - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x