Can I avoid Capital Gains tax by declaring La Renta?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Apr 2010 12:00 AM by chicadeb Star rating. 32 posts Send private message

Hi,

I have been looking though old threads for info. about CG tax and tax declaration.  I found some info. which I copied and have pasted below and have a few questions about it...

By the way, I am British, have lived in Spain since 2002, work a few hours a week as a private English teacher but am paid in cash so no contract or nominas (wage slips).

"Capital Gains tax -If you are a resident you pay CGT on your main home only if you do not reinvest ALL the proceeds(not just the gain) in your next main home in Spain.  If you do no reinvest it all, you pay 18% on the gain (with some rather paltry allowances) .That is unless you are 65 in which you are exempt. 
If you are non-resident, you are liable to the 18% on all the gain, regardless of whether you reinvest any or all of it."

Q1. Am I classed as a resident if I have a NIE card but don't declare and have never declared at the tax office? ( I have lived here with a NIE card and had a property here since 2002).
Q2. Assuming the answer to the question above is NO, if I want to sell my property for about €200,000 (originally bought for €145,000 inc. purchasing costs) with an outstanding €87,000 mortgage to date, does that mean I will have to pay 18% on €113,000 (a staggering €20,340?!!).
Q3.My plan is to sell my property and reinvest most or all of the money into a smaller and cheaper one (my aim is to try and get rid of my mortgage) - with my current status in Spain (ie with a NIE card but not declaring or having never declared tax) does this mean it makes no difference whatsoever if I reinvest the money or not as I will be taxed 18% whatever?
Q4. If the answer to question 3 is that I will be taxed 18% whatever, then will declaring at the tax office make me an offical resident in Spain?  Will this mean I will get CG tax relief If I reinvest the money from my property sale?
Q5. If I should declare at the tax office, will they ask me about previous years?  Should I declare the cash in hand work I do or say I don't work at all as there is no proof that this work takes place.  Could I get into trouble?

I would really appreciate any advice or help anyone could give me.

Many Thanks

Debbie

Like 0      
18 Apr 2010 6:53 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

1) yes you are classed as a resident.

2 ) No. It would be 113,000 -58,000 ( which you obviously put in as cash ) =55,000 profit.

3) Yes, you pay CG whether you are resident or non-resident.

4) If you declare at the tax office & have an up to date tax certificate then their will be no deduction by the buyers @ the notarys.

At the notarys now , the fact that you might have a registration certificate on the 'registro de extranjeros' ( replaced the old residencía card ) does not entitle you to not have the cgt stopped by the buyers & paid in to the Hacienda in your name. All notarys have been issued with instructions , not only to see the residency cert. but an up to date tax cert.

5) I'd say nothing.

Just to clarify the situation. Your tax liability is 18% but they do not take that , they only deduct 3% as a payment against your cgt liability. I.e. If you sell for 200.000 less mortgage,87,000= 113,000 less deposit ,58,000 =55,000 profit.  If you have a residencía cert. & no tax cert; or you are a non-resident then the buyers solicitor is required to withold 3% & pay it in to the Hacienda in your name.

The original price you paid will also be adjusted by an inflation correction factor for each year you have owned it. ( there's a table here on one of the threads )

If it was me I would register with the tax office, sell & then you can square up the tax with them at the annual time.

If you don't re-invest the whole of your profit then you are liable for cgt on the whole of the profit.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Resort AGM - 48 posts
Recomendation for car hire spain to england - 1 posts
Charity lunch for abandoned animals - 0 posts
Trapped in Spain - how to get back to UK? - 17 posts
Travelling to a French port... - 3 posts
Problems trying to change cancelled Easyjet flight - 3 posts
Is 4 years a long enough period for court case to be dealt with? or is it not? - 2 posts
First time move! - 1 posts
non smoking bar - 0 posts
Help Lift Needed - 0 posts
Others Who Make a Killing - 1 posts
Stranded Passengers! Anyone Making a Killing? - 1 posts
JUSTIN.......... Zoosk online flirting site advert!!!!!!! - 7 posts
Nissan Xtrail 2004 SVE for sale rhd - 2 posts
long term parking - 7 posts
A list of things that are cheaper in Spain compared to the UK - 30 posts
what is the area called where las fillipinas 4 is situated pls? - 3 posts
has anyone had a good court decision success story against scrupulous Developer Technologia Urbanistica - 0 posts
Rainfall and Infrastructure - 4 posts
Passion Studio - 3 posts
OFFICE JUNIOR REQUIRED - 0 posts
pls be aware of illegal satellite services - 0 posts
Sorry England is CLOSED until further notice! - 5 posts
Spanish tax return - working in Gibraltar - 4 posts
Outstanding Debt on Spanish registered car - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 2

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x