The more I read..........

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Apr 2007 12:00 AM by kez74 Star rating in cheshire. 50 posts Send private message

kez74´s avatar

The more website i visit and the more forums i read the more i am doubting if i should move to Spain at all....................... mainly because of the children I have just read some awful storys about a young girl getting called a "whore" by a bus driver and a six year old getting a glass held to his neck.........its seems that children get picked on if they dont mingle with the Spanish kids and if they do mingle with Spanish kids they get picked on by the British kids........

I know bullying goes on all over the world and it happens here in he U.K daily but not to my kids.....they have a good circle of friends at school.  I am getting really put off by all the negative stories........but then on the other hand i think "well if its that bad why do people stay"......

I can see a long rocky road in front of me!!!!!

Like 0      
19 Apr 2007 12:52 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi Kez74

There is another member on here who, day to day, has misgivings about moving to Spain.

Her ID eludes me at the moment, but maybe I should not expose her anyway! She may be embarrassed.

However, if you search the threads, you will come across her.

Forum members gave her advice on the bad things that she had read about Spain and basically, the upshot of the advice was:

This happens all over the world. The UK is becoming more violent on a daily basis.

Spain is no worse than the UK, in fact personally, I think it's better.

The teenagers don't hang around in large "hoody" groups, you don't feel intimidated by the Spanish teenagers.

Spanish family life remains "family" orientated, unlike the UK where in 80% of cases, the word "family" means me and my Mum.

Therefore, Spanish children are more respectful, they are brought up in a strong family unit.

At least that's what I think, others may have ssome input here?

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
19 Apr 2007 1:39 PM by kez74 Star rating in cheshire. 50 posts Send private message

kez74´s avatar

Fibby you are right........i have just been speaking to some friends whos children go to the same school as my children and like they said all our children have had good experiences at  our school and there has been other families that have not.

I suppose it is natural to have cold feet... i mean its not like i am moving tomorrow, i have plenty of time to come to Spain on holiday and get to know the people etc. We are lucky in the respect that we are going to be able to keep our house in England and rent it out to cover the mortgage we dont need to sell it to fund the move to Spain, we wont buy in Spain straight away...so i suppose if we dont like it we can always come home.

The way i look at things is that life is short....i have always dreamed of living in Spain and i would rather do it, hate it, and come home than for ever wonder "what if".

Like 0      
19 Apr 2007 2:06 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Kez74,

Sounds like you are doing things very sensibly to me!

Keeping your UK home untill you have tested the water is the best move.

You have the responsibility of children and keeping a safety net is brilliant.

Also, seems like you have now seen the light about reading too much!

Good luck with it all, I wish you well!

kind regards,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
19 Apr 2007 2:56 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

It is Tinasolera, Fibby, who has very young children. She & her hubby & youngsters are moving over permanently early next year to the Mar Menor area. Chris & I met Tina the other day, she's so lovely. She's very apprehensive but feels ok now after taking much information in & mulling it over. She & her husband say they're coming to Weston for a day in July /August as they don't live far away, in Wiltshire, & would like to meet Chris & I together when they'll have more time. Tina was with her friends & kids when Chris & I met her, not with her husband.

Janice

Like 0      
19 Apr 2007 6:36 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Kerri, Mark Twain said:
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
I guess you could say something similar about reading up on life in Spain.
It seems to me, and others here, that you're going about everything in the best possible way. Many of us who made the plunge wish we'd had the resources available to us that you have now, so try not to worry so much.  

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
19 Apr 2007 7:47 PM by Febe Star rating in Flix, on river Ebro,.... 240 posts Send private message

Hi Kez74,

We moved here last summer with our 8 year old son. He is in the village school. There are (I think) 8 other English kids in the school.
We've had no real problems with him settleing in. The Spanish kids are a little more 'rough and tumble' than we are used to in the UK, but I can't say it's bullying. It's just the way they are. They seem to get it out of their systems young. As (was it?) Fibby said, you do not come across thuggy teens. If that's your only worry, don't worry. Your kids will find their own level. So long as they're young enough they'll fit in just fine.

Where are you moving to?
How old are your children?

Regards, Fiona

PS. the school Nicholas was at in the UK had just 94 pupils, he was in a class of 30. This school has 127 pupils. If a class goes over 25 pupils they split the class in half. He's now in a (split) class of 16. There is one computer for every 2 children. OK so we have to buy his school books, paper etc. (last year at a cost of just under 80 euros) but to have my child in a class of under 30 kids is fantastic. You just don't get that in the UK unless you pay lots of money for it!

No matter where you go, there you are.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

School fees.......... - 22 posts
broadband and telephone (torrevieja to san pedro) - 1 posts
Elegance Dona Julia. - 38 posts
If i get one more bloody phone call !!! grrrr - 6 posts
Help please - 3 posts
San Remo, Almoradi - 12 posts
car insurance - 3 posts
Direct ferries from Britian to Spain - 16 posts
The Bargain Property Experiment - 155 posts
Edwina - 4 posts
Tower cranes - 9 posts
Is this idea realistic? - 3 posts
Bank Guarantee. - 4 posts
Consider this before buying in Spain - 28 posts
Aifos running out of money - 0 posts
Help - 1 posts
Furniture packages: Value for money?? - 28 posts
STILL AWAITING HABITATION LICENCE - 3 posts
DUMP FOR OFF TOPIC COMMENTS - 16 posts
MORE ARRESTS IN MARBELLA - 5 posts
Atlas international - 21 posts
help!! confused!! - 16 posts
any opinions on Formentera del Segura ? - 94 posts
Removals costs - 14 posts
Great Places to Walk Dogs - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x