My Place in the Sun, but which part of Alicante do I choose?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Apr 2010 12:00 AM by Monica 77 Star rating. 45 posts Send private message

Hi all,

I follow this site but have never joined in. I hope someone can advise as I am intending to purchase a property in Costa Blanca in the next few months and I have been researching Almoradi as I want the Spanish culture, and also it is fairly close to the sea.  Can anyone advise me on what Almoradi is like, and is it still quiet enough to live in the town itself.  We would love a Town house in this area, or if you have any other similar Spanish towns I should consider near the sea I will look them up.  I am planning to visit soon and rent for a while to get the feel of the place.  I look forward to hearing from you all soon.

Monica

Like 0      
04 Apr 2010 9:14 AM by auntielinda Star rating in San Miguel de Salina.... 646 posts Send private message

Monica

The very best thing you can do is rent in Almoradi, it wouldn't be my choice, because I like the hustle and bustle of the coastal towns, but I have been there a number of times in fact only yesterday, it is the Furniture capital of the Costa Blanca as is Yecla in Murcia. As already said if you rent you can have a look around the ajoining towns and get a feel for the place. Dolores, Daya Nueva and Daya Vieja, Algorfa are nice places with Urbanizacions on the outskirts and very Spanish in the ciudad itself

Great Auntie Linda

Like 0      
04 Apr 2010 9:41 AM by cazzy Star rating in Inland Andalucia. 180 posts Send private message

When we were looking we looked all over Spain. We ended up in Andalucia, which wasn't our original choice. Make sure you have a real good look around. It is very easy to buy a house in Spain, but very hard to sell one!! Don't make any rash decisions.

Cazzy

Like 0      
04 Apr 2010 12:05 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 689 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi Monica - I agree that renting first is definately the best way to do it.  I would also add to the list Los Montesinos and San Miguel de Salinas - both smallish spanish towns but still close to the beaches and larger developments.

You will have lots of choice of rental properties just now and prices are good too.

Like 0      
04 Apr 2010 3:53 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Monica, welcome to our forum. Good idea to rent for a few months at least, in order to get the feel of the place in summer & in winter. Everyone on here will say their area's best, there are threads on here with exactly the same question. At the end of the day you must make your own mind up, what's right for one isn't right for another.

We love Almoradi but to be fair we've only been on a Saturday, market day, we haven't sampled it other days. We also like Los Montesinos, San Miguel de Salinas (San Miguel has its own website, which is wonderful, plus a dedicated forum). We love La Mata which is right on the coast between Guardamar & Torrevieja. 

Best thing is take a holiday soon, look around.  

Like 0      
04 Apr 2010 10:33 PM by Monica 77 Star rating. 45 posts Send private message

Thanks for all the tips, yes we will rent and I hope we make the right choice.  I know La Mata and also love it but it is out of my price range at the moment.

Monica 77

Like 0      
04 Apr 2010 10:50 PM by auntielinda Star rating in San Miguel de Salina.... 646 posts Send private message

Ohters have recommended San Miguel I live there myself and  is a small spanish town but I have to tell you the foreigners  the Spaniards 2-1, so if you want to integrate you may have a problem, one poster says Andalucia is nice they are right some parts are very rural, so dont just look in this area. The San Miguel website is OK but has very poor colour the set out is difficult to follow

Great Auntie Linda

Like 0      
04 Apr 2010 11:28 PM by Monica 77 Star rating. 45 posts Send private message

I know San Miguel very well as we rented in Villa Martin for years, why will it be a problem to intergrate?

Like 0      
05 Apr 2010 9:01 AM by auntielinda Star rating in San Miguel de Salina.... 646 posts Send private message

Sorry I missed out some text it should have read foreigners make up 62% of the population mainly English,German and Norwergan outnumbeing the spaniards 2-1 surely that is enough reason, we even have a translator employed by the Ayuntamieinto, I beleive the only one on the Costa Blanca.

Great Auntie Linda

Like 0      
05 Apr 2010 10:42 AM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

We enjoy going to Guardamar, where Morerosado lives, and also Santa Pola.  They have always seemed very Spanish to us, but we usually go off-season when it isn´t too crowded.

We live in a predominantly Spanish town, however we are a long way from the coast, so I doubt if it would suit you!

Good advice to rent first, plus visit at different times of the year: inland it can be colder than you would expect in winter and hot and dry in summer.  Please let us know what you finally decide to do!

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
05 Apr 2010 11:11 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hola Sue, good morning to you.

Monica, we assume that you speak some Spanish. Do you?

Yes, Sue's right, Guardamar's great though I'm biased. it's a largish town. Beach is so longgggggg & wide ... endless seafront cafes along the promenade, hundreds of restaurants tucked away down side streets, a fantastic Wednesday market in town centre, an even better one within walking distance of my home on Sundays, beautiful Reina Sofia park with its man made lake, squirrels, ducks, terrapins, peacocks, kids area & petanque area , night market by the park, pine walks (dodging the processionary caterpillars this time of year), Lidl's right next door to Mercadona, what more could anyone want?

Like 0      
05 Apr 2010 6:25 PM by Monica 77 Star rating. 45 posts Send private message

Hi ladies, thanks for all the feedback.  Sue  it is a small world.  Because of the expensive prices on the costa Blanca before the property slump we decided to buy a villa in Jumilla by San Jose property developers in 2006 and he has a large amount of my cash which we may never see again , we went to Jumilla often..  So we have now decided to buy something smaller on the coast but we still want the Spanish culture.  My Husband has been going to night classes, and you know the saying 'when in Rome'..thats why I like La Mata and Almoradi, (although I have never been to Almoradi only read about it) I hear Almoradi is a large furniture town, it is not what I have pictured in my head after all the reading I have been doing.

Like 0      
05 Apr 2010 6:53 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Monica, the road linking Almoradi to Dolores is chokka with furniture shops. If you love La Mata as you say you do  ... we were there this lunchtime for a walk, almost froze it was so cold too... I'm sure these days it will be worth looking further as prices have plummeted. 'Georgia' on the forum is an estate agent who has helped many on here find their dream property. I'm sorry you were caught up in the huge San Jose scandal, same as Sue who is a friend of mine.

Like 0      
05 Apr 2010 7:48 PM by auntielinda Star rating in San Miguel de Salina.... 646 posts Send private message

Monica,

you aint alone there is a thread on here all about Santa Ana Del Monte where both me you n Sue were buying just last week I got my deposit back after a 2 year battle. Sue now has a lovely apartment in Jumilla and you can see the SADM showhouses from her balcony. That is how we come to be in San Miguel. All the best with your search

Great Auntie Linda

Like 0      
05 Apr 2010 8:51 PM by Monica 77 Star rating. 45 posts Send private message

Left yot a private post auntie Linda

Like 0      
06 Apr 2010 1:23 PM by 3stu3 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hello Monica

I like Almoradi and the nearby town of Algorfa as they are within easy reach of the beach, the AP7 motorway and other towns such as Quesada.  It has a good Spanish feel about the area and is very scenic with the mountains close by.  Try OPI Rentals who have an office in La Finca Golf in Algorfa they have a good selection of apartments and townhouses in the area with prices around the 300 Euros per month bracket.  Their phone number is 966 729 653.

The good thing about renting is there is no financial committment if you dont like the area and want tto try a different town then you just give in your notice.

Good luck

Like 0      
06 Apr 2010 2:09 PM by KarlR419 Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

KarlR419´s avatar

Hi Monica,

Look up Georgia on here. He is a massive font of knowledge when it comes to property in this area. Even for an Estate Agent,  He is honest and trustworthy. He lives in the area and has done for a number of years therefore his local knowledge is huge.

I do have to warn you.  Please careful while your looking, a lot of Agents in this area hike the buyers price up by around €20,000. What you see in one shop window may be with someone else at a lot cheaper.

I bought directly through Georgia and everything was 100% transparent. he will tell you the whole process and guide you through everything from enquiry to taking the keys. He also completely cut out any other "Agents" involved so I was dealing with him direct.

Good luck and hope it goes well for you

Like 0      
06 Apr 2010 9:02 PM by Monica 77 Star rating. 45 posts Send private message

thanks I found Georgia, lets see what happens.  Auntie Linda thanks also for the advice and well done, I hope you will be happy in San Miguel.  As for me after my last disaster I know things will work out  ok.

Monica 77

Like 0      
06 Apr 2010 10:33 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Hi Monica,

Georgia is a lovely guy (alias Shaun) have met him a couple of times and he has been to our apartment.

He will be able to help you

We have been to Almoradi a few times not far from Formentera we normally get the bus which is quite nice for a change you seem to miss a lot when driving.

Sorry to hear you was involved in San Jose but at least it has not put you off, I really admire you for that.

Hope all goes well please keep us informed

Take care Pat

Like 0      
07 Apr 2010 8:26 PM by Monica 77 Star rating. 45 posts Send private message

Hi Pat,

I have had alot of replies and some great advice, I have booked to come out twice within the next few weeks to look around, maybe Shaun will bring me some luck. Whats your area like?

Monica

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Process of building a property in Spain: Rustic land (rural land) - 1 posts
New Furniture Package for Sale in Almeria region - 1 posts
Your thoughts, advice and recommendations - 7 posts
I'm off to Spain now! - 6 posts
Legal Advice Please. - 11 posts
Importing a German car to Spain. - 10 posts
leaving spain/van space available to share - 0 posts
Re-negotiate your mortgage rate - 3 posts
wanted long term in ARENAL DUQUESA - 1 posts
New A7 Road Is It Open Or Does It end At Alcoy? - 0 posts
registering children - familia numerosa? - 3 posts
Medina Golf - has anybody successfully claimed on the Bank Guarantee? - 0 posts
Steam Cleaner CBN - 0 posts
I want to buy a "Hot Tub", any suggestions please? - 15 posts
help with proxies - 2 posts
FACUA Spanish consumer organisation - 0 posts
long term rentals - 4 posts
MOT - 0 posts
ITV HD launches full HD channel on SKy and Freesat - 7 posts
So clever! - 9 posts
HIKE IN THE CREVILLENTE MOUNTAINS - 0 posts
Opening a Spanish Bank account in the Los Montesinos/Torreviaja area - any good advice? - 10 posts
La Mairena to La Cala - 4 posts
Legal Informtion - 17 posts
Fixtures and Fittings - Can They Be Excluded From The Sale Price To Reduce Tax - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 26

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x