Costs seem very high to change mortgage to interest only for two years

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Mar 2010 12:00 AM by applepie Star rating in marbella. 2 posts Send private message

Hi,

Like many, we have been struggling to pay our mortage payments. I have negotiated with the bank to give us an interest free period for two years, on the proviso that we pay our outstanding debts. I am securing a separate loan to pay the outstanding debt, so hope it should all go ahead.

HOWEVER, the bank is quoting me 1,000 euros for notary costs. I have queried this, as i am of the understanding that the government passed a law to help reduce the associated costs for mortgage modifications. The bank manager has come back to me saying that it is to cover notary, registry and gestoria costs. Is this amount acceptable for a modification?

If anyone can advise me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Fay

Like 0      
04 Mar 2010 10:33 AM by sharonw Star rating in Coin, Malaga. 281 posts Send private message

sharonw´s avatar

Hi Fay,

As you have negotiated new terms for your mortgage i.e. adding a period of 2 years Interest Only, this needs to be recorded on the mortgage deed and therefore the notary, registry and gestoria fees are applicable.  The cost depends on your mortgage amount and scale of fee applicable to the notary.  Unfortunately the new law is only relevent to residents and does not apply to non residents who own second homes / holiday homes.     

Regards

Sharon

sharon@tmasspain.com

www.themortgageservicegroup.com

Like 0      
04 Mar 2010 10:59 AM by applepie Star rating in marbella. 2 posts Send private message

Hi and thanks for your reply. My husband is Spanish and we are residents, so the law should apply to us. My problem is that i don't trust my bank manager, as he takes every opportunity to sting us with charges and penalties! I just want to be sure that he is not trying it on with us.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Car Hire costs in Summer - 9 posts
Message for Justin, your Holiday rental listing - 2 posts
Internet Security - 17 posts
Above Ground Pools - 6 posts
Please please help me. - 7 posts
DE COTTA MCKENNA AND SANTAFE LAWYERS V POLARIS WORLD - 3 posts
Lawyer in la Zenia (Orihuela Costa) - 2 posts
Urbaser (Water Fault) - 4 posts
Guadelest restaurant - 3 posts
Posts - 0 posts
Malaga Terminal 3 Opens March 16th...but... - 2 posts
LATEST ON ZODIAC VILLA NIGHTMARES - 1 posts
im looking for a job in alicante - 0 posts
More items for sale - 6 posts
Tips on selling property - 5 posts
Richard_Quest@rocketmail.com - 6 posts
Air conditioning - 9 posts
Hi does anyone live in the costa de le luz - 2 posts
chasing rental enquiries - 4 posts
Resident or fiscal resident? - 6 posts
Working in spain for a while need Broadband? - 19 posts
My hobby - 3 posts
Cheapest beer in Spain? - 27 posts
How to find the cheapest petrol/diesel prices in your area - 6 posts
Is there anyway the buyers can get out of the private contract to buy my house? - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x