Sat 8 Aug 2009
I have just recieved yet another email from yet an other agent explaining why they cannot furnish me with the paperwork which I have requested but assuring me that on the basis of them looking at the Escritura (Title Deeds) it is a legal property. Oh yes and also sending me photos of a property in which I am not interested in at all.
Are they all unaware of Decreto 218? After all it has only been in force since 2005.
Do they honestly believe that an Escritura will tell you that a propery is legal? It is my experience that the only thing usually correct on an Escritua is the name of the Notary who witnessed it, and that only because they use a stamp.
What is going on out there?
My faith in Estate Agents, or at least their competence is at an all time low. I seem to know more about the property business than they do!
Can it be that all agents think prospective buyers are idiots? Or is that just wishfull thinking on their part?
So far this is starting to look like a blog ranting about Estate Agents, it is not meant to be! It is possible that, because they are the only real estate ´professionals´ with which I have had direct dealings so far, they must bear the brunt of my ire. I do hope when I get to the point of having to deal with town hall and other officials, lawyers and notaries that my posts can be of a much less scathing nature.
All I want is to meet one agent who does none of the following.
1) Ignores or is unaware of Decreto 218
2) Advertises that they only deal in fully legal and checked properties. Then try to sell you one that blatantly is neither legal nor checked.
3) Conceal or lie about pertinent details of the property you are interested in.
4) Change said details on their website after the ´mistake´ is pointed out to them to make it look like it never happened.
5) Think that because a property has an Escritura, is being lived in or has a mortgage that this makes it legal.
6) Watch this space
I´m sure I will come up against some more of their tricks before I´m too much older.
Come on guys, get your act together, we, the buyers, are not idiots and are better informed about the process of house buying in Spain every day thanks to forums like Eye on Spain and it´s contributors.
So, if you fit the bill and are selling property in the Almanzora valley, get in touch. Others please avoid me as a sarcastic email often offends.